View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
You are right Marc but you are forgetting about a small detail. At the time of WW1, these villages had much larger population (2 to 3 time larger, may be 4) than what they have now. Of course, the impact was very heavy but it was smaller that what you feel.

In addition, in most french villages these monuments are listing dead from WW2 as well. They are much less numerous (only 100.000) but that might modify your perception. Nevertheless, you can count that in every village, every family had lost at least one of its member. Finally, the worse is not listed on these monument: KIA and MIA numbered 1.700.000. Wounded were 3.500.000 to which you have to add 1 million mutilated. Total casualties for France alone: 6.200.000+

Still, for me, the most impressive of all these monuments was seen in Scotland. A few years ago I was visiting scotland with some friends and we stop by Eilean Donan Castle. They had a monument listing the dead from the Macrae Clan (I think). The list of names (including casualties from Australia, Canada and US) was as long as these you could find in small towns.
Mmmmm... thanks for your explanations Mo, now I have a clearer picture...