View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Default The Russian Capital Ships

The Kirov Class CCN: The Russians worked very hard to salvage ALL 4 of their nuclear Battlecruisers. These were not only the most powerful surface ships in the old Soviet Navy but were also envisioned as long-endurance commerce raiders. Two ships were deployed with the Pacific Fleet and two ships with The Northern Fleet. They were NEVER sent to the Baltic or the Black Sea to prevent NATO from "bottling them up." They survive on a 1 on 1D20.

The Admiral Kuznetsov & The Varyag: The "Admiral" was at sea for the entire Twilight War while the Varyag only makes it off of the construction slipway late in the war (1997 or 1998) IF a 1 on 1D20 is rolled. The "Admiral" only survives on a 1 on 1D20 due to her importance AND the various mechanical and electrical issues which plague her throughout her life.

The Kiev Class "Carriers": The Russians keep The Novorossiysk and the Baku BUT sell the Kiev (to China who names her The Liaoning) and the Minsk (to India) as well as BOTH Moskva Class (one each to China and India) in order to restore the two remaining ships of this class AND continue building the Varyag. One is stationed in the Northern Fleet and the other is in the Pacific Fleet at the start of the war. Due to their age and the load they must carry, they survive only on a 1 on 1D20.

The Sverdlov Class Cruisers: The Russians keep 10 out of the 17 venerable Sverdlov Class Cruisers. They are forced to scrap 4 and they upgrade 3 Cruisers and sell them (to finance the upgrades). The Cruisers are sold to China, India, and Syria.
The 16 dual 37mm mountings are removed from ALL the ships and converted to truck-mounted AA systems. These find their way to Africa and South America. The 100mm Cannon are sold to China who uses them on several older ship types (much to Russia's chagrin later on). The third 152mm gun turret on every ship is removed (and kept for parts) and replaced with an SA-N-4 Gecko twin-armed Missile Launcher with 18 reloads (giving 20 missiles with two on the launcher itself). 8 ADG-6-30 30mm CIWS guns replace the 6 100mm Cannon along the deckhouse and the two rear twin 37mm mounts above the #3 152mm Gun Turret (replaced by the SA-N-4). TWO RBU-6000 Anti-Submarine Rocket Launchers are mounted on either elevated 37mm mounting alongside the deckhouse (one on each side). There are also mine racks for 24 mines OR two Depth Charge Racks (containing 24 depth charges each) mounted on the mine rails at the stern. Two 8-Round Box Launchers for the SA-N-5 "Grail" (the "navalized" SA7) are mounted on the 37mm AA mounting forward of the after funnel.
The Sverdlov's were set up as Command Cruisers for amphibious assault forces and two Cruisers serve in each of the five Fleets (alternating deployments). They are Russia's answer to the Iowa Class of the US Navy and are the most powerful gun platforms on Earth after the Iowas. They survive on a 1 on 1D20 (max 2).

The Kydna Class Cruisers: Of the four ships of this class, one was scrapped and the other Three were sold to Cuba, Syria, and Libya to fund improvements in newer ships. Their steam turbine power was old and tired and they were too costly to upgrade.

The Kresta I & Kresta II Class: The four Kresta I's were commissioned in the 1960's and were only an interim design. They had experienced significant abuse and all four were salvaged and scrapped to provide funding for other ships. The 10 Kresta II's were built in the 1970's and in much better shape. Five of the ships were either scrapped or sold to India and China and the other FIVE ships were placed in reserve/training (one with each Fleet). They survive on a 1 on 1D20.

The Kara Class: The Seven ships of this class are modern COGAG designs. Two units were sold to India to update/maintain the remaining five ships. They were distributed at the rate of ONE per Fleet. They survive on a roll of 1 on 1D20.

The Slava Class Cruisers: All THREE Slava Class Cruisers are still in service and intended as surface commerce raiders. They are allocated at one in the Pacific, one in the Baltic, and one in the Northern Fleet. They survive on a roll of 1 on 1D20 (one only).

The Kashin & Kashin (Mod) Class Destroyers: The first all gas-turbine ships in the Soviet Navy, 14 Kashin, and 6 Kashin (mod) Destroyers were built between 1963 and 1980. One Kashin (Mod) was scrapped after being destroyed by fire. Six Kashin were scrapped/salvaged and eight Kashin were sold to various Navies (China [2], India [2], Cuba, Syria, Iran, & Libya). The Five remaining upgraded Kashin (Mods) are still in service and distributed at the rate of one per fleet. They survive on a roll of 1 on 1D20 (one max).

The Udaloy Class Destroyers: With 12 ships in service when the Soviet Union fell, the Udaloy class was comparable to the US "Spru-cans." One ship caught fire and was scrapped in 1992 and a second also caught fire and was sold to India to be rebuilt (In reality this ship was rebuilt and reentered service in the LATE 90's). This leaves 10 ships distributed between all five Fleets at two ships per Fleet. These ships survive on a roll of 1 on 1D20 (two max).

The Sovremenny Class Destroyers: The follow-on to the Kresta II class, Seven Sovremenny Class Destroyers were built. They too used a high-pressure steam boiler system for power. Two were sold to India in order to maintain the other FIVE ships. They are distributed at the rate of ONE per Fleet. They survive on a roll of 1 on 1D20.

The Krivak Class Frigates: This class of Frigate spawned an "identification rap" by US sailors. "hotdog pack, smokestack, guns in the back... KRIVAK!" The Krivaks came in 3 Classes initially and I expand that to 4 Classes. The Krivak I's had two twin-barreled 76mm guns behind her smokestack. The Russians made 17 Krivak I's (and I convert them all to more advanced models or sell them). TWO were converted to the Krivak III standard to bring that model up to 10 ships. TEN ships were converted to Krivak IV standard at the rate of two per year. TWO ships were scrapped for parts and salvage. THREE ships were sold to India to fund the other ship's conversions.
The Krivak II Ships upgraded the two twin-barreled 76mm Cannon to TWO single barrelled 100mm Cannon. The electronics were also upgraded.
The Krivak III were built as border patrol vessels and replaced the forward SS-N-14 Silex ASW Missiles (known as "the hotdog pack" by US sailors) with a 100mm Cannon (from the rear mounts). It then deleted BOTH rear 100mm Cannon and added a hanger for a helicopter and TWO ADG-630 30mm Gatling Guns above it.
The Krivak IV was never built but I liked the PROPOSED "conversion" so I am including it here. This conversion removes the SS-N-14 Silex "hotdog pack" and adds a 100mm Cannon up front (possibly from a Sverdlov Class Cruiser) and the helo hanger and twin 30mm CIWS of the Krivak III. It then DELETES the twin quad 533mm (21") torpedo tubes amidships and adds 2 dual launchers for the SS-N-2 "Styx" anti-ship missiles carried by the Tarantul Class Corvette. This provides the 10 converted Krivak IVs with a much broader capability than the original models. The Krivaks (of all classes) survive the War on a roll of 1 on 1D20.

The Auxiliaries: The Russian Navy has 21 Tankers, Ammo Supply Ships, and Cargo Vessels distributed throughout the five Fleets.

The MineSweepers: The Russians still have 20 Natya I's, 6 Vanya II's, and 5 Yurk Class Minesweepers in service. They all survive on a roll of 1 on 1D20. No more than 6 units can survive.

The Landing Ships: The Russians have 3 Ivan Rogov Class, 10 Alligator Class, 12 Ropucha Class, and 25 Polnocny Class Ships. These survive on a 1 on 1D20. No more than 10 units can survive.

I will post the Russian "Corvettes" tomorrow. The Russians often call what the West would consider Corvettes "Frigates" and they have SEVERAL Classes in large numbers. Therefore, I felt it appropriate to separate them from the other ships.

Last edited by swaghauler; 05-31-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: I added the Krivak Class Frigates to this list