View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 AM

One of my favorite guilty pleasures from the 1980s is a movie called Band of the Hand - basically a police social worker takes a bunch of fuck-ups and runs them through his own Outward Bound combined with Muscogee Indian training with a dash of SFOR training mixed in. He drags them out into the Everglades and teaches them Indian survival skills. The first meal he serves them is a soup of snails, wild greens and herbs, mushrooms and so on. A couple of the kids enjoy it, one throws up, and another (a cocaine dealer) wryly observes that "A bowl of soup like this would cost you $200 a plate at Coconut Grove in Miami."

Then later they (armed only with knives and spears) are walking in heavy woods and have an encounter with a wild boar; their "benefactor" says "We'll go around. Only wild men and Indians eat wild boar."

They all share a knowing look, then we jump cut to them feasting on wild boar around the campfire later that night.

Similarly, Bear Grylls (yeah, I know, his stuff is mostly set up) spent a couple of nights in the 'glades and had a pretty fine meal out there of tortoise and grapefruit (citrus is essentially a weed here in FL anymore).

I live on the outskirts of Orlando near a green belt and have seen bear (fatty, but good eating I'm told), innumerable gators (gamey but tasty!), deer (mmm venison) and too many members of phyla rodentia to mention, like rabbits, squirrels, and so forth...