View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Actually you left out the 409 AMX-VCI APC's that were converted to DNC-1 and armed with a 20mm cannon - and which would been much more than a match for the M113's the Army light divisions were equipped with
And were these in service during the Twilight War period?

From what I've seen Mexico bought the AMX-VCI after the end of the Cold War and they bought them from Belgium. In 1992 the Belgian Army has 510 AMX-VCI listed under its army, and with the Cold War in full swing I couldn't see them selling any to Mexico until they had started building a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
and the Mexican Army Sourcebook is a fan canon piece not official - I tend to go with actual equipment - and like I said against what the US had left the Mexicans would have been able to do a lot of damage - this isnt a well equipped US Army that they were facing - you are looking at units short on fuel, with almost all their modern missiles and ammo sent overseas and low on spare parts and replacement vehicles

whereas the Mexican Army hadnt done any fighting as of yet - and keep in mind that the units taking on the Soviets in Alaska probably sucked up most of what there was in the US as to anti-tank and anti-air missiles and modern artillery ammo

you dont need an uber Mexican Army to do what they did in the canon as far as the initial invasion

because if you do make them that well equipped then they end up occupying half the US based on what was left here by mid 1998

and much of the fighting in places like California would have been done initially in built up areas - i.e. perfect places to ambush a modern tank with infantry - and except for the cadre they brought home for the 40th there were almost no combat vets in the US - a lot of the troops fighting them were training troops thrust into combat against armor - and even old armor can be damn impressive if you dont have any armor backing you up

Give the Mexicans whats in the fan canon sourcebook and they end up washing the dirt off their tanks using water from the Mississippi River and San Francisco Bay
Its the only extra material available relating to Mexican forces in the Twilight War. You can disagree or agree with it, but Mexican forces in real life were woefully outgunned by even the U.S. National Guard. They would need to upgrade their army to some degree to even have half a chance of invading American territory.