View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
Sorry to hear that, base on my personal experience that style of Yukon stove is great, I never used the fuel drip burner for it. I was shown how to set it up but we always used wood for the stove as you use the stove without the fuel drip burner. It also sounds like your equipment was not well maintained, I am also wondering where were you using it ? Most of the current 5 man and 10 arctic tents (10 man shown above) you wouldn’t even need a yukon stove. I slept in a tent like that with only a two burner Coleman stove and lantern for heat and light, plus with the heat of ten bodies and a proper sleeping bag most teams should ok for any winter environment. Mind you we had to take shift watching the stove all night.
I had always had the older 1950s round two piece Yukon stoves. The M-51 with multi fuel heater system in units upto 1999 with 101st MP Co. http://www.armytents.com/heaters.html

Remove the multi fuel unit and you had a wood or coal stove. Mix some gasoline into diesel to thin it and burn that through the multi fuel insert (ranges at the chow or warming tent).

Then I got to a unit that had this "new" stove. Tiny burn chamber for wood, can't remove the fuel burner to clean it. The only way to get it to burn hotter than a candle was to dump a pint of gasoline over the fuel burner and drop in some burning paper to light that. The chamber would then get hot enough to draw and atomize fuel at what was at best the low setting. Damn frustrating when a stove won't boil water. So this was the MP unit I went to Iraq with in 2003 and we used them in Dec 03, Jan-Feb 04 as nights got to 25F and even snow twice or more.