View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser View Post
The unit Rae's referring to is the 83rd ID. They became known as The Rag-Tag Circus because of their extensive use of any and all captured German equipment they "acquired." If it was on wheels or tracks, and could move and shoot, it got a coat of olive-drab paint, a white U.S. star, and was immediately put to use. They drove everything from trucks to half-tracks, tanks (Mark IVs and Panthers are mentioned), even two fire trucks, with GIs riding on the ladders. And yes, they did fly a captured Me-109. They are mentioned in Ryan's The Last Battle, Hastings' book, and Antony Beevor's book on the battle for Berlin.
Matt,

Fascinating! I saw the reference in Last Battle. Hard to believe someone would risk flying an Me 109, but I guess they did.

At least in this case the approach of using captures vehicles makes some sense, because they were using them to capture towns in the collapsing Reich, outrunning their supply lines.

The cited reference was a little vague on what vehicles this unit used, I can't see any reference to tanks. Trucks, kubelwagens, armoured cars and halftracks (the latter used as ambulances) I was already aware of.

Tony