View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Assuming they can get transport...
I've a feeling Greece and Italy would bring their people home very quickly after withdrawing from Nato. With war raging in China for a year or so already, as well as conflict ramping up in Europe, not to mention tensions between Turkey and Greece increasing, especially over Cyprus...

Without those two countries, the remainder wouldn't have much hope of carrying out their mission. The Canadian troops would also be needed to meet their obligations as part of Nato and for at home. Four companies of mechanised infantry might not seem a lot to the US, but to a small military they're a fairly sizable chunk of firepower. Add in the support units which are sure to be there with them, and it could well be upwards of a full battalion. Those numbers are well worth sending a ship (or ships) and pulling out.

Australia would be able to withdraw their troops using their own naval assets (as would the Greeks and Italians I would hope). Finland and Sweden would I'm guessing be the "junior partners" and probably only have a medical team or platoon or so of MPs deployed. In all likelihood they could fly home on a chartered jumbo (if they didn't have their own transport).

Ceylon/Sri Lanka would be left to it's own devices, probably heading straight back into civil war again.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem