View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Crimson Skies was probably in the back of my head when I thought of this, too. I've never played it, only seen the minis from afar. I suppose the scenario I'm thinking of is probably a potential lead-in to such a broken America.

TheDark: I've read of the transcontinental expedition, probably in Ike's memoirs. I especially remember a bit somewhere out West, when some locals thought the trucks were the Army come to settle some dispute with the local Indian reservation. Since the whole expedition only had two .45s for weapons, they were relieved to find that the whole thing had blown over.
It was a heck of a convoy, though - 34 heavy trucks, 4 light trucks, 2 mobile machine shops, 1 blacksmith shop, 1 recovery truck, 1 3-ton wheeled tractor, 1 5-ton tracked tractor, 2 spare parts trucks, 2 water tankers, 1 gasoline tanker, 1 mobile searchlight, 4 kitchen trailers, 8 touring cars, 1 reconnaissance car, 2 staff cars, and 9 motorcycles (5 with sidecars). The tractors were generally carried by the heavy trucks, and were used to haul trucks out of ditches or mud or sand.

Two of the motorcycles would scout about 3 miles ahead to report conditions and placard intersections.

One other historical point of interest that I've looked at is the Battle of Blair Mountain (1921), where private planes dropped gas and shrapnel bombs on miners who were rioting after agents of the Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency assassinated local government officials who were pro-unionization.