View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Well, I was looking at more international communications. How do I speak to the MILGOV forces in Korea for example?

There are indications at least that were still some working comms from Colorado to Korea and maybe Iran but the writing implies those are hanging on by a string, and when it breaks?

I guess civilian radios are an option but obviously a working military radio network would be optimal, although apparently not very possible.
Check out Single Side Band Radio. It is a variation of long range AM radio transmissions that reduces the power needed to transmit. A 1000 Watt AM radio using a SSB filter would use the same power as a 125 Watt AM radio to transmit a message. This, combined with the already mentioned "sky wave propagation" will allow global communications on a "power budget." SSB is used extensively by blue water sailors for communicating with each other and the rest of the world.

Another "plot device" you could look at is a satellite "ground station" that wasn't destroyed. It could be abandoned or in "other hands" and still "talking" to a existing satellite. Taking the station (and by extension, control of the satellite), could be a good adventure plot.