View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
How to protect Prime Base has been spoken on several threads. The purpose of this thread is to bring together these threads and determine a workable security plan.

EXTERNAL

The module doesn't mention any external security other than the debris covering the entrance modules. IMHO, Prime doesn't require any bunkers defending these hatches, their concealment is their best protection until Prime goes active.

The primary external defense of Prime lies in the hands of Combined Team NP-5. This team consists of the following:

NP-50 Command Team: 5 personal in a V-150 APC

NP-51 MARS Team: 12 personnel with a V-150/25mm and a V-150 Mortar Carrier

NP-52 MARS Team: 18 personnel with a V-150/25mm, 2 V-150/HMG, GAL

NP-53 MARS Team: as NP-52

NP-54 MARS Team: as NP-52

NP-55 MARS Team: 18 personnel with a V-150/25mm, 3 V-150/TOWs

NP-56 Recon Team: 12 personnel with 3 HMMWV/HANgs

Recon Teams NP-57, NP-58 and NP-59: as NP-56

NP-60 Engineering Team: 20 personnel with 2 V-150 APCs, 2 5-ton Dump Trucks with trailers, 2 M-9 DEVs

The intent is to provide a Recon presence to cover the approaches to Prime, backed up with a large enough MARS presence to deter hostile forces. The team caches are loaded with ammunition, demolitions, heavy weapons and Medical supplies. NP-5 does not have the mission of assisting survivors. Instead they will direct survivors towards refugee camps that will be set up some 150 miles to the northeast. The refugee camp will be operated by another combined group.
You have a total of five MARS teams. I would agree but would go with a different team composition.

Three Teams with 3XV300 (or LAV 25) APC with 25mm turrets and dismountable troops, so 18 dismountable MARS team members per team

One team with 3XV150 with TOW

One Team with 3XV150 mortar carriers

This gives three maneuver elements (both mounted and dismounted) a base of indirect fire and a base of direct fire AT fire. The TOWS can be distributed instead of being kept together. The 81mm mortars will be of tremendous value in the rugged mountains that surround Prime Base.

Each of the Teams includes a Stinger Missile Team as a basic load out for one of the team members.

I have never been a MARS 1 fan but I can FINALLY see a possible role for one, if the concept and its armament is changed.

First strip out all the fixed weapons except the claymores. The fixed MGs and mortars don't make any sense at all in any way. This leaves a pod, four large turrets and the small forward mortar turret.

The flame guns don't make any sense either so they can go. The vehicle will now be optimized for indirect fire. I'd replace the flame turrets with 120mm indirect fire mortars turrets (developed right at the end of the 1980s). http://www.military-today.com/artill...tar_system.htm

Keep the pod and replace the weapons with FOG-M fiber optically guided missiles. http://www.army-technology.com/projects/efogm/ These don't have the range of Maveric, but outrange TOW. The Bolt Rocket's should be discarded and Stingers should be always available.

This gives a total of 1X81mm mortar, 2X120mm Mortars, 2 autocannon turrets (perhaps have these with a 25mm and a 7.62mm or a cannon and Stinger pods and a large pod with FOG-M and possibly Stingers.

This changes the roll to a platform with a lot of indirect fire weapons capable of hitting targets within 15 or so KM up to and including aircraft and armor. I'm still not a big fan but the strange armament mix of the original is really hard to explain.