View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
The SNP are republicans and would not be in favour of restoring the Scottish monarchy who ever that might be. What would be the point of exchanging the British royals with a new Scottish royal who is not Scottish?

Also a Scottish monarch would probably be the head of state of an independent Scotland, and I don't think the SNP would be too inclined to defer or consult their new laws and policies with a royal, yet alone share power.

Being republicans I don't think the SNP would also be interesting in founding a new Royal Army of Scotland, who would likely take an oath of allegiance to the Scottish monarch just as British troops take an oath to the British monarch. So I think the GDW may have made an error here by naming it a Royal Army of Scotland.

Personally I think any new Scottish Army would be drawn from reserve territorials rather than regular troops, and many Scottish soldiers from Scottish units such as for example the Black Watch Regiment who would be ultra-British nationalist and certainly ultra-Royalist (British) and would want nothing to do with a new Scottish Army. I think the naming of Scottish units would be along the lines of newly named units rather than drawing on traditional Scottish units of the British Army or other British forces.
I agree about the republican nature of Scottish politics however I am trying to remain within canon. :-( I may look at it as a figurehead type leader to increase legitimacy.

While the names of units are based on pre-war units, many of these will be reformed after losses, particularly during the nuclear exchanges. I probably need to elaborate that.

Few of the pre-war military would be present in SCotland, I view most of those serving as wartime volunteers or conscripts with less of a tie to the British Army and it's institutions.