Thread: CONUS Factions
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 07:22 PM

I tend to think that transportation of prisoners to CONUS/Canada breaks down just as completely as the remainder of the logistics system following TDM. By spring of 1998 it’s doubtful POWs are being shipped back except for very rare cases of high and relatively immediate intelligence value (ex. “We just captured the guy who knows the post-strike replenishment locations of every Soviet sub-tender.” “Put him on a KC-135 and fly him back.”).

I’m thinking POWs stateside may well get offered a deal in many cases- work in exchange for food and protection from vengeful civilians- at least until things break down completely. During WW2, German and Italian POWs often performed agricultural and other non-military labor. It stands to reason a similar arrangement may be made in T2K. If the POWs are seen as an overall asset to the local agricultural community then it could very well be acceptable for them to remain and even to integrate with the community to a degree as time passes (like trusties)- this situation occurred during WW2 when German POWs working in forestry in SE Arkansas were sometimes “signed” to local loggers for extended periods of labor away from their camps.

In other areas, either those hard hit by Soviet strikes or more resource poor, POWs may be at more risk from the local civilians than from their guards. Such cases may see POWs rise up out of fear of liquidation and either stage a mass breakout or even seize a camp. I think the UK sourcebook has a group of Soviet ex-POWs who become marauders after freeing themselves. It’s not too far fetched for a group of ex-POWs to establish a “fiefdom” over an area they have seized.