View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
Why do you assume that BEM was working in a single timeline?
Because it gives everything meaning. If there is one timeline, fighting for it is important. If there a million, it doesn't matter - it's just statistics.

Quote:
If he knew everything about the future how did everything get so FUBAR?
He is a time traveler, not a god. He is neither omniscient nor omnipotent, and the nature of his time travel almost certainly imposed limitation. You can do everything right and still fail.

Quote:
Is this the best Bruce could put together?
It isn't a performance review. He built something amazing. That it failed due to unforeseeable factors outside his control is NOT his fault.

Quote:
If Bruce has too much specific information about the future there end up being a lot of questions.
He is a mortal man. Limitations on his knowledge are natural, especially about post-war when he can't grab a newspaper or check the internet.

Quote:
Did he know how the war started? If so could he not have prevented it?
Probably not, but even if he did it is a whole different matter to day he could have prevented it even with the CoT. Wars don't start from single events, they happen due to the history of millions and millions of people, and derailing that is all but impossible. Again, he's not a god.

Quote:
How did he let Prime get knocked out? Could he have stopped Krell?
By being a mere imperfect human being. And... no? Define exactly what Krell is and I'll give a better answer.

Quote:
Instead, I have always felt that is an ever-branching river. Ever decision point leads to a new path. Infinite numbers of BEMs move through infinite iterations of the multiverse. In some, the War comes far earlier than in others. In some, it NEVER happens. In some, the Project hops right out of bed and gets to it. Two other versions are the versions in print, classic and current.
As previously mentioned, I dislike this because it makes it just another round of a video game. A million BEMs try to save their worlds. Some WILL succeed. Some WILL fail. Why should a being able to know that care about any one of those worlds? I prefer the tension of knowing that there is one world and the consequences are therefore total.

Quote:
This also means that every PD is playing in their own version of the realities BEM was trying to prepare for the future.
This... is irrelevant. Every game in existence has multiple groups playing in as many variations. I don't need a multi-universe theory to be okay with that.