View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
Also available for salt is evaporated sea water. This technique was used for centuries in warm coastal areas:
  1. Pump (or flow) sea water into a shallow, sealed pool.
  2. Close off the pool form the sea.
  3. Let it sit in a good hot tropical sun and evaporate for a while until half or 3/4 or so is gone.
  4. Pump out the very salty water, and boil the rest; refill the pool.

Usually, in a full production cycle, you have several pools at various stages of evaporation, and enough facilities to boil off one pool at a time.

In places where it rains frequently, you can cover the ponds with a tent (depending on size).

This method was popular from Roman times until the early 20th century around the Mediterranean Sea - France, Spain, Sicily, North Africa, Greece, Israel, Egypt.

This technique was used in the Carribbean Islands, when the Europeans colonized them. And San Francisco Bay and around the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

Avery Island, Louisiana, (home of McIlleney's famous Tobasco Sauce) has a major salt mine no longer in use (but available).

Grand Saline, Texas, and Sifto Mine in Goderich, Ontario have active salt mines. Fairport, OH has an active mine 2000 ft deep.

Inagua (Bahamas) has an active solar/evaporation system - has since the 1950s. Hmmm. Need to see what drives that...

There are probably other minor sources of Salt that over the course of the 20th Century became less economically viable as a salt production location (certainly, that is what happened in central NY), but could serve again at a more localized level of production and distribution. If you live in Rochester, NY (in June 2000), it will be more possible to get salt from Syracuse, NY (up I-90 or along the Erie Canal - it's still there and still wet, mostly) than from Avery Island, LA, Grand Saline, Texas, or Detroit, MI.

Uncle Ted
I had forgotten about this until his post but as Uncle Ted points out, the evaporation method is still a big contributor to salt production in the modern world. In fact one of the companies here in Australia is named Solar Salt as it produces much of its supply by the evaporation method.
I'd even seen facilities for this at Dampier and Port Hedland during one joint services exercise during the 1990s but as mentioned, I had forgot all about it.

Here in Western Australia, there are evaporative salt facilities at the towns of Port Hedland, Dampier, Roeburne, Onslow, Carnarvon and Shark Bay. About 90% of total salt production in Australia is for export sales so it's considered a significant industry here. Those locations aren't much help for Australia after the Twilight War as they are quite remote but certainly the workers at these facilities could set up new production sites in the remaining population centres on the coast.

Closer to the European & North American theatres of the Twilight War, Mexico is a large exporter of salt and when you consider that salt is a component required for the manufacture of caustic soda and of chlorine, there may be an adventure or three for characters sneaking into Mexico to either seize supplies of salt, seize the production facilities or to destroy them.