Thread: Dog Soldiers
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Dog Soldiers

(First thread resurrection from the archive. -kato13)

kcdusk 12-16-2005, 07:06 PM #1 its a great movie

but #2, can anyone tell me the types of guns they had? I can find a couple of pictures that look like what they carried but am not sure.

ta

Come to think of it, theres an idea for a T2K scenario - something straight out of dog soldiers!!!

Milano 12-16-2005, 11:36 PM Not that im watching the movie right now but I think Charlie Gates is carrying a Winchester 1873 and a Colt Single Action, and the posse's got Winchester 94's and 92's. Again if memory serves. That is a darn fine film by the way.

Off topic but, I just saw King Kong way way way so very worth the price of admission. Sad? Yes. But many of the action scenes are so exciting! Definitely go see it.

ReHerakhte 12-17-2005, 01:26 AM Are we talking the Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd & Liam Cunningham horror movie about a team of British soldiers in the Scottish forests?

If so, the soldiers were initially armed with 5.56mm L85 rifles, the yellow device on the barrel being a blank firing device for when blank rounds are being used.

Later in the movie they get MP5 SMGs, a pump-action shotgun and what's meant to be a 7.62mm G3A3 but is more likely the civilian semi-auto version, the HK91 (it has no muzzle break or bayonet lug).

Cheers,

Kevin

kcdusk 12-17-2005, 02:14 AM < using sad voice >

yaeh, i hear king kong is a great movie. Graet effects, great action. No nudity, but, oh well. A 10' monkiey only has so much sex appeal.

TiggerCCW UK 12-17-2005, 03:59 AM If so, the soldiers were initially armed with 5.56mm L85 rifles, the yellow device on the barrel being a blank firing device for when blank rounds are being used.

Interestingly, the early BFA's used to fly off the muzzle during training - just another example of how terrible the early L85's were. I can also remember hearing horror stories about bayonets being shot off the muzzles of rifles during blank firing.

copeab 12-17-2005, 09:22 AM #1 its a great movie

I personally rate it as the best "Military vs Monsters" movie, with Aliens being second. It gets the top spot mainly because, unlike most MvM movies, the soldiers actually *act like* soldiers, not idiots with automatic weapons.

Brandon

Grimace 12-17-2005, 06:37 PM This was one of those shows I just randomly stumbled across, not knowing what it was called or what it was about. I was flipping channels, paused on a bit where there were some guys in camo, talking with British accents, and I lingered a bit. I think I started watching it within the first 15 minutes of the show, so I don't think I missed much. After about 5-10 minutes, I was hooked.

At least, that's how it went with the British Military vs. Werewolves version of Dog Soldiers. I'm not sure what Milano was referring to, but there was obviously an older show, dealing with perhaps the Wild West age, also named Dog Soldiers.

In fact, I'll look it up.

Well, a look online found only two movies by the possible name of Dog Soldiers. One is the man vs. monster version, and another was called "Who'll Stop the Rain", but was known elsewhere as Dog Soldiers. WSTR was about Vietnam, though, so I'm not sure where the bit on Winchesters and such come in, if this is even the movie Milano was mentioning.

firewalker 12-17-2005, 08:51 PM some of the plains Indians (crow? Cherokee? can't quite rember the tribe) warrior's were called dog solder's.

there was a movie called "last of the dog solder's". were a modern day tracker came across a camp of dog solder's living up in the rocky mountains. the idea was that instead of surrender and go onto the resvation's they headed up into the mountains and hid out.

Milano 12-17-2005, 09:01 PM By George I think you're right, I am thinkning of the LAST of the Dog Soldiers. Sorry very much my bad. Haven't seen the other though. Any good?

kcdusk 12-18-2005, 02:19 AM Dog Soldiers is a fantastic movie.

I remember seeing a preview for it. I thought it was British, had some great action and looked like a great movie.

After seeing the preview i really had two thoughts on it. #1, being British as opposed to American it might be a little different than most movies (in a good way) and #2, as good as the preview was, we probably seen all the good bits in the preview.

But i was wrong, this was one great movie. Should have seen the ending coming but didnt. Enjoyed it thouraoly. Which was lucky, cause i got a mate around to watch it with me and i had built it up some.

TiggerCCW UK 12-18-2005, 07:20 AM Heres a few links about the film.

http://www.geekroar.com/film/archives/000289.php

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home...diersx01x05x02

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280609/

And here's some info about the rumoured sequel.

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingso...soldiers2.shtm

One of the greatest strengths of the film was the interaction between the squaddies - very realistic. The trailers were great too - based on the army recruiting campaign at the time.

weston617 12-18-2005, 10:27 AM I have to say how great I think this film is. I bought it on DVD on the advice of a friend and loved it! It's got action, decent black humour and, as has been said, the interaction between the squaddies was very true to life. Hell, I'm sure I recognise most of the first part of the film from being on exercise myself!

graebardeII 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM some of the plains Indians (crow? Cherokee? can't quite rember the tribe) warrior's were called dog solder's.

there was a movie called "last of the dog solder's". were a modern day tracker came across a camp of dog solder's living up in the rocky mountains. the idea was that instead of surrender and go onto the resvation's they headed up into the mountains and hid out.

Actually it was Last of the Dogmen starring Tom Berenger. The People were Cheyenne, Northern Cheyenne to be more specific. As for the rifles, can't recall.

grae

firewalker 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM well i got the first letter right at lest. as for the gun's in last of the dog men. the tracker had lever action and revolver (spicefic make and such no idea) but lot's of cowboy looking stuff. the cop's had standerd rual cop guns revolvers, bolt action rifls and shotguns.

Last edited by kato13; 01-23-2010 at 12:21 AM.