View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead Slim View Post
Thanks for all the detailed info on salt production, I'm actually running a game that's heading near Salt Lake City so this is great! Another thing I was thinking about was spices, some would be pretty easy to find and grow like Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. But I imagine some might require more resources than they're worth, or might even take too long to grow. I've heard black pepper takes forever to grow and it needs extremely good conditions to survive.
Black pepper needs tropical conditions. About 90% of the world's supply is grown in Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Brazil, and China. Mexico grows some (between 600 and 2000 tons, out of ~475,000 tons produced annually), but it will be scarce.

Chili peppers have a much broader growth area, with large quantities raised in the United States and even up to Canada.

There's a great page at the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization that can show where various crops are grown, with data going back to 1961.

There's at least one crop that I know of that isn't grown in the US, but could be - my mother has raised vanilla orchids, but getting beans is difficult enough that commercial production might not be viable (it requires hand pollination outside of Mexico due to the lack of Melipona bees). The only production in the Western hemisphere is Mexico (roughly 200 tons per year) and Guadeloupe (about 5 tons per year).