Thread: TW2k13
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
I would raise the maintenance requirements for a weapon in cold and extreme cold to two- and threefold respectively. It's even worse if the weather changes rapidly - I've seen the Finnish assault rifle freeze over so badly, even the famous AK-style action failed as the whole mechanics had frozen shut. Then again, the wepon had been fired the day before and to ease the cleaning, the weapon had been oiled with gun grease. If a extremely cold weather, a remedy for this ailment is to use lamp petrol for lubrication rather than oil.

As for the high altitude - I'll have to do some research.
Altitude Sickness has all the same effects as the Flu. It's onset will generally occur in 2 to 3 days after arrival at or above 5K feet (I would subtract CON from 11 and divide by 2 for onset) and CAN be avoided by an Ave:CON roll. Fatigue or wounds will aggravate the onset of Altitude Sickness.

Snow Blindness is a result of not having eye protection on bright snowy environments. You can manufacture a set of snow goggles. this is an easy task for any experienced Mountaineer or Arctic Survival Expert. I would treat snow blindness as a slow loss of vision. Using the Version 2.2 rules; you would start at light level 2 and it would increase by 1 level after each hour. You could resist this with a CON+INT roll. A successful roll would mean NO increase in the light level multiplier. If you reach level 5; Your blind (at least temporarily).

At high altitude, it will take much longer to produce fire, boil water, etc... due to the reduced oxygen content. Explosions will have a reduced Blast or Concussion effect but Frag will travel much further (because of reduced air density). Flamethrowers will have reduced range (due to the altitude's effect on the pressure in the cylinder and fuel stream). Batteries will also be affected. They will produce less power and die sooner (both altitude and cold will cause this due to a slowing of the battery's power producing/storing reaction). Most US equipment is proofed for -25F and will function at altitude.