View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
As the US prevailing winds are west to east, perhaps somehow working a bit of randomness into it might not be a bad idea. Would need to skew the possible results towards the prevailing winds of course, but like you say, thermal effects, and normal storm fronts etc will certainly have an impact.
These variations are likely to be relatively short lived I'd think though - perhaps hours, maybe a few days to a week in duration.

Wind speed is another variable you might want to consider, perhaps humidity (especially heavy rain or snow) could contribute also.

I wonder how much a Cyclone/Hurricane or tornados would screw things up?

There is certainly going to be a random factor. If the few hours I have had to think about this I have been daunted by the math. Even the best minds can't figure out the weather so I don't feel too bad.

Since I want my maps to appear the same every time you come back to them, I have to set the wind direction in the database. Which means deciding on wind direction for 3000 or so data points. I want it automated, but I also want points close together to have a similar, but not identical wind direction. Fallout from 10 strikes from a closely clustered MIRV are unlikely to produce fallout in all directions. Of course other close strikes might happen on different days. As someone who over thinks everything this is a nasty curve to be thrown so close to completion.

I think once I finalize all the other strike issues I will put this on hold while I do units and resources. I appreciate the comments they help keep my mind open.

Oh here is my first test using T2k Canon strikes.