View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
It is very vague as to who attacked who, however it's more logical for the North to attack given there was only one US Division in Korea at the time and reinforcements took months to arrive. Added to that, the US probably wasn't keen on starting an additional front if they really didn't have to.
Whoever attacked, it happened on the exact same date as US troops entered combat in Europe. It's almost a certainty NATO, particularly the US and Britain would have "telegraphed" their intentions to the world by sending troops into Germany - as if the Germans hadn't already done that weeks and months before....
It wouldn't take much for a supposedly combat ready North Korea to spend a couple of days calling soldiers back from leave, etc and launching their own offensive.

Of course there's nothing to say the South Koreans went on the offensive first, however that doesn't seem all that likely.
Given that everyone will be VERY jumpy it wouldn't take much for the war to start by accident. I've avoided that in my history as that's how I've started the Sino-Soviet fighting.

I like the idea of the South starting the war but I can't see what they hope to gain from it. It would also make the Australian and Canadian decision to send troops odd.

The most logical candidate is the North probably in an attempt to avoid famine and hoping the US isn't able to intervene before they achieve their aims.