View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
I think I remember reading at some point at one time that the Soviets, even with the most optimistic assessment, expected to lose at least five subs for each carrier they managed to get a torpedo into.
With the fall of the Soviet Union a lot of their military publications started showing up in the West. The general opinion for a successful strike on a CBG was for a coordinated strike with 2-3 SSGNs, 2-4 SS/SSNs and 3-4 regiments of Backfires. The intent was to overwhelm USN defended with missile fire and using torpedoes to finish off survivors.

I've wargamed this several times with some navy buddies and the results have been mixed. One game had the Backfires suffering 80% losses. In another game two frigates and a P-3 managed to nail four submarines in a patrol line. In a weekend game, the heroic Soviets managed to attack from an unexpected direction and sank the carrier with minor losses. We even ran the Clancy scenario with two US and a French carrier against a massive 7 regiment attack, an exercise in mutual slaughter resulted.