View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
I agree about weather but it does play an important role in any kind of combat including land combat.

Your boys had a hell of time at Bastogne (Belgium) when Germany launched its last offensive in winter 1944. That failed but it come close to disater if that hadn't been for the Big Red One (I think it's them, correct me if I'm wrong).

Vietnam is another exemple and I believe that summer heat had been an issue during the first gulf war.

Bastogne was the American 106th Infantry Division who were fresh off the boat and slaughtered. I read a book in the Corps based on what happened called "Death of a Division." If I recall correctly they were the ones that suffered the Malmady Massacre, had a great uncle who was part of it. He was a lucky one and was one of the few who made it out without being killed or captuered or captured and then killed.

And then we had the Airborne Boys holed up in Bastogne, and then it was Patons 3rd Army was it who came to the rescue, as well as the cloud cover lifted allowing arial resupply and air support to devestate the German forces.

As for weather, yes it plays so many roles, like stock piling of supplies before winter sets in. When does winter come this year? So we can get into a position and not be exposed to the elements.

As well as wind and humidity for artillery rounds.

Aircraft, so they know how to adjust their fuel mixtures, where to go, how much fuel and all of that.

Heck, even snipers use weather as the heat and humidty affect the perfect shot placement.

And of couse weather is also an ally if you use it right.

No one in their right minds would be out in a rain or snow storm. So you can move freely with less chance of detection And your tracks will be covered. A task force of ships can hide in a squall and elude the enemy or detecion, <Master and Commander, where they entered the fog bank to elude the enemy> Scout Aircraft hidding in clouds and squals to avoid enemy anti air fire or prowling fighters.

It is an ally if used right.

And yes, temperature also affect a military, heat your people loose effectiveness, require more rest and more water. Cold they need more fuel and food. And also what needs to be done or prepared to ensure your equipment continues to work.