View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
This! I've always had the debate that the GPS satellites were so important to the West that they would be protected at all costs. Even duplicate ground stations exist for GPS. I think the original developers were unaware of just how important they were to the Airforce and the Navy.

That being said, I could see CONSIDERABLE gaps forming in the GPS coverage (like a 50-50 chance of getting a signal), especially for ground units. I know that in the Allegheny National Forest today, you only have about a 75% chance of finding a GPS signal through the canopy. I can only imagine how much harder to get triangulation it would be in Twilight2000.
GPS satellites would be hard to knock down. They're at ~20,200 kilometers altitude (and GLONASS is at 19,100 kilometers, not much easier). The only ASM-135 ASAT test hit Solwind P78-1 at 555 kilometers. Iridium satellites would be more vulnerable; they're only at about 781 kilometers.

The Soviet IS system worked at least moderately well, but it was canceled in 1983, well before any of the Twilight War scenarios. The last armed Almaz station had deorbited in 1977, Terra-3 and Fon both failed, and Polyus/Skif broke up after separation from Energiya in 1987. The Vympel bureau tried to integrate an ASAT on the MiG-31 Foxhound, but it was a troubled program that wasn't ready before the breakup of the Soviet Union.