View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
...maybe we could add the Canadian contingent from Sri Lanka (I'm not sure what date the vehicle from the NATO Vehicle Handbook has them there but the could transfer).
The plate is from 1996. The notes state:
Quote:
"Canadian forces were sent to Ceylon in 1993 following the Tamil Insurrection of 1991 as part of a United Nations peacekeeping force. Four companies of Canadian armoured infantry joined troops from Greece, Finland, Australia, Sweden, and Italy on that island in enforcing the shaky truce decreed by a United Nations resolution of February 1993."
It's my guess the Canadians, as well as the Greeks and Italians, would have withdrawn their forces rather quickly once hostilities broke out between them. Likewise, I can't see Finland leaving troops there in the face of a possible Soviet attack through their country. That leaves just Sweden and Australia carrying the load. Any bets on what they'll be doing when the others pull out...?
Quote:
From the British Army there is the possibility of a small force of Gurkhas, probably by creating a new battalion.
Possible, but more likely they'd have been sent to China to support/reinforce British units listed in that country.
Quote:
Considering how quickly the war in Korea turns nasty with chemical and nuclear weapons, most countries will not want to become involved.
It was no quicker than anywhere else on the planet. My guess is Nukes would have been withheld for as long as possible actually, given that the USSR didn't go into Korea until late 1997, after China was glowing in the dark and after the Nato offensive of 1996-97 was turned back (aided by tactical nukes).
I'm not sure if Korea had nukes in 1997, but if they did, I'm certain the Soviets would have done everything they could to dissuade their use before the Soviets were ready. With war raging right across the planet, any escalation of that sort is a very bad thing.

It's interesting to note the invasion of Alaska occurred shortly after nukes were first used. It would seem the Soviets were banking on their nukes to do nasty things to the US ability to respond effectively - it would seem likely the Soviets had been planning both the invasion and use of nukes for some time.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem