View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDevil
I am a big fan of sci-fi (and proud of it, i am gonna rule the day, when i get my own spaceship... ...since i know everything abouth tricorders and the cochran anti mater-mater stream... yes it is a joke... a poor one, those are the ones that i know )

but back to the subject at hands, i was watching a show called stargate sg1, where they (the heroes) where all, but one, behind bars (think the jail bars of the excellent movie Rio Bravo (with the duke)).
The one not captured, came back for his friends (ofcourse), and had some sort of twine or wire that he wrapped around the bolt mechanism, that connects the lock to the door, after starting the fuse, it did not explode, but had a bright sparkle effect and burned through the lock... ...making him the instant hero of the group.

my question is: is this method only a hollywood moviemagic trick?
or could you fashion thermate-th3 in this way, like a "string" instead of a grenade?
A standard thickness piece of twine, but made of thermite, on the lock? Hmmmm, was the lock like a PAD LOCK? If that is the case, then it could possibly cut through the bolt. But realisticaly it would have melted the lock mechanism into a useless solid piece and making it worse for Tiuk, Samantha Carter and Dr. Daniel Jackson to make their escape.

And who was in command?

Colonel Jack O'Neal since his background as McGiuver would allow him to do such feats.

Or was it the new comander Lt. Col Cameron Mitchell?

Although if Vala is on board then anything is possible!

But hey, I don't know anything about that program!

I have little doubt that a chemical compound could be created that is the size of twine that can burn hot enough to cut metal, but I doubt it would be stable enough. I would think you could have better results with a little better thickness of detcord or C-4 or similiar plastique.

And then we have to other things to consider,

1.) What is the metalurgy of this metal from a forgien planet that has what composition and metalurgical process?

2.) Was the twine explosive Qu'uld technology? Was it from those alien dudes, Atlantian or what?

3.) Most gear the SG-1 team has is top secret, some based on alien tech so it is available to just the SG teams, so would it be available in a T2K world?

But, I bet it was that McGuiver who whipped it up using the coffee creamer package of an MRE, some matches and an old boot lace! Admit it! It was him wasn't it!

PS;

I thought it was going to be a good post on WP and Thermite since they are my two favorite greandes, they can do so much damage, ya gotta love em!