Thread: Korean Omega
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Strategically, the transfer of at least some of the American troops in Korea to the Middle East makes some sense, but I have my doubts.

First of all, it would be an incredibly hard sell.

"Hey, I know you've been stuck here in Korea for 3-4 years, without a sniff of home, but now, instead of sending you back to the States, we're shipping you to Iran to fight the Soviets there."

"Uh, no."

I really think that desertion would be a big problem after such an announcement. I think a lot of American troops would rather stay behind in Korea and/or find their own way back to the U.S.A.

And wouldn't those troops be needed just as badly, if not more so, in CONUS? The RDF doesn't make it sound like the American forces stationed in the Middle East need reinforcements that badly.

All things considered, I think a return to the U.S.A. makes more sense on nearly every level, and it aligns better with canon than a transfer to Iran.
I dont think you would see much in the way of desertions - i.e. deserting means you are stuck in Korea versus being in the Middle East - meaning you at least would be in an area that had oil and thus a possibility of getting home via said oil

Secondly - when Omega happened they recruited from guys who had been fighting in Europe and were heading home - you would figure everyone would have signed up to go home - but instead 6000 American troops went to the RDF per canon instead - meaning that out of the 43,000 troops remaining in Europe in November of 2000 (per the start of Going Home) about 3000 stayed, 6000 went to the RDF and 34,000 went home

meaning per canon about 18 percent of the European veterans of four years of absolute hellish combat instead volunteered to go to the RDF to fight

given that amount having the Marines go to the RDF, the Hawaii troops go home to Hawaii and the rest go to CA makes a lot of sense - especially since the Marines would be going to join brother Marines still in combat in Iran