View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
For as many questions as I ask, I think I need to buy a copy of that book.

So you are thinking any naval support for this operation in 1997 would come from Carrier Group 6 with the America?

Do you think sending a full Carrier Group to support an operation securing the Panama Canal si too much? Would the Carrier Group stay in the Caribbean if the naval loses some have touted were actually happening?
I just picked USS America out of the 9 carriers assigned to the Atlantic Fleets. Mostly picked her because she has a mixed USN/USMC air wing.

From what I understand of real Fleet operations in the 1990s, carriers were heavily protected, no less than two AEGIS cruisers for anti-air, supported by DDGs with Spruance/Perry's/nuke submarines for ASW defensive, the carrier battle groups were considered to be tough targets. This doesn't mean that a sub couldn't get in a lucky shot, but it was widely accepted that if you wanted a carrier, you would pay heavily.

Now, for a target such as the Canal, depending on what is defending, it would be more likely that two or more CBGs would be assigned, striking each end of the Canal, with airborne elements seizing the locks and pumping stations. Considering the strategic importance of the Panama Canal to the US, it would be a major effort, unless the Soviets decided a couple of nukes would be a more effective solution.

As for the books, try Amazon, they keep looking up at some very reasonable prices. The 2001 edition of Combat Fleets of the World, normally 900.00, went for 21.00 plus shipping!!!!!!