View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
The Good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
Welcome aboard, John.

Japan is a base for US and possibly Allied operations in the ROK, as has been pointed out. This is a perfectly adequate explanation for nuclear action against Japan. The Japanese Navy (Maritime Self Defense Force?) is supposed to work hand-in-hand with the USN against Soviet naval forces. Wherever the constitutional line is drawn, the Allies will push against it. The Soviets will notice.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I will point to the nuclear treatment of Canada as a yardstick for how the Soviets will restrain themselves when it comes to the use of nuclear fires against non-nuclear Allies. The Soviets absolutely pasted Canada, which had no organic nuclear arsenal. Whether the US retaliated against the USSR or retaliated against a Warsaw Pact ally or other Soviet client is an open question. Nevertheless, the Soviets did far worse to Canada in terms of national damage than they did to the US. Japan, not having any of her own nukes and almost certainly having participated at some level in the fighting in the Far East, should expect the same leniency the Soviets showed non-nuclear, US-allied Canada.

I agree with you, John, that the 2300 AD line of a nearly intact Japan reflects little careful thought. I'm inclined to agree that Threads is a more accurate summary of the situation in Japan of 2000. On the plus side, imagine what a rich gaming environment Japan in 2000 would be!

Webstral
Oh, and Webstral, about the US retaliation for Japan, I think that retaliation might be directed towards Vietnam, especially if the OTL normalisation of relations of 1995 is butterflied away. I don't know what sort of nuclear targets the US had in Vietnam after 1975, but I think if World War III came to pass, that country wouldn't have been spared. The Chinese alone would have lobbed a few nukes at it, I think. After all, it was a Soviet rather than a Chinese ally, and it was militarily the most powerful country in mainland SE-Asia. I presume also, though it'd never be admitted in public, that there might also be an element of revenge for the Vietnam War. With the US facing imminent nuclear destruction, the powers-that-be might decide that "if we're going down, we're certainly not gonna let those damned Vietnamese get away with it!"