View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 08:06 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Mo;

Pineneedles, the small pointy leaves of evergreen pinetrees.

When green these can be boiled into a tea and are high in vitimin C.

Further, bark from many trees also contains vitimins and fiber.

I agree thistles and snails are easily produced as well.

I was thinking guinea pigs too but I chose to include them with rats and other rodents, I really hate the things! Although they were a staple in the precolumbian diet in South and Central America.

Oh, the minitature potbellied pigs could be something we may find in peoples yards as they raise this small pigs and chickens in home backyards as well.

In many areas of the US blackberries are very common to the point of being an invasion species that overgrows regular plants.

And in portions of the US South West cactus, the flat broadleaved type that produces the cactus or prickly pear. For both the leaf and the pear one must be carefull when removing them to avoid the cactus barbs and then peal them of their skin and any barbs remaining. The pear can be eaten or mashed into a jelly, the thick leaves cut into peices and eaten after cooking.

I remember reading a menu of a restraunt that specialized in "AZTEC" cuisine, and the most normal food on the menu was venison, everything else was ants, grubs, wasps, worns, snakes, lizards and beetles. And of course chocolate.