View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Here goes with another few for you all

Making a killing : James Ashcroft. Memoirs of a PMC in Iraq. Part of the group that had responsibility for the water infrastructure.

Joint Force Harrier : Cmdr Ade Orchard RN. Memoirs of a squadron leader flying harrier's on close support missions in Afghanistan.

Rules of engagement : Tim Collins. Colonel Tim's memoirs from the second gulf war, from the speech he gave on the eve of the war to the allegations of mistreating prisoners and his clearance of said allegations. Good read, especially because his family and mine are friends from years ago.

Post 381 : James Doherty. Memoirs of an ARP warden during the blitz on Belfast in WW2. I first read this as part of my GCSE history project. Only school text book I ever went and bought my own copy of.

An Ordinary Soldier : Doug Beattie. Memoirs of a member of the Royal Irish Regiment from his tour in Afghanistan. Cracking read.

Eight lives down : Chris Hunter. Memoirs of his tour as an EOD officer in Iraq.

The Forgotten Voices series. Transcriptions of audio records from the Imperial War Museum. There are a big selection of books covering from the first world war to the Falklands. First hand accounts of people who were there, truly harrowing in some cases, but well worth reading.

The Cage : Tom Abraham. Memoirs of an English man who served as an officer in the US army in Vietnam. He was captured by the VC but escaped and made it back to friendly lines.

And probably I've a few more recommendations to make yet