View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Regardless of any "are they capable" modern discussion, I think its rather obvious that in most areas of T2k population, women will be used more so for "civic" style jobs.

Farming, crafting, sewing, methanol production, clearing rubble and such leaving the men to either hunt or protect the community.

In areas where there is a surplus of labor, then I can see them being used more for militia tasks, but still more support oriented.

Only time I see that being different is when the local militia is in short supply, like if the men have just fought off a large assault and many are either dead or disabled. Then women would be used to man the towers or patrol the walls, but again, local leaders will try and keep them out of direct contact with the enemy.

I think its more of a mental thing then a true capacity issue. At least in the US, I think most men in the service are "comfortable" with seeing another man get injured. But society has "trained" most men to view women differently. Enough so that seeing a women get wounded would cause most of us to react differently, potentially a very bad thing in certain situations.