View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 07:09 PM

Default HTH & Melee Damage Changes for My Twilight2000 V2.2 Game

I use a VERY modified system using both "wound damage" (killing) and "stun damage" (for incapacitation) for my game. It is a morphing of the base Twilight2000 system with Hero Game's stun system. Hero Games has one of the best "non-lethal" damage systems ever conceived and it was quite easy to integrate it into my game.

HTH COMBAT:

I figure the character's base damage just like the basic game by multiplying STR X Skill Level/10. This gives a number that is compared to the chart below to give you a character's base damage IN DICE (NOT POINTS). A punch does #D6 dice of STUN damage and a kick does #D10 dice of STUN damage. The Penetration Rating for a punch is 4 and it is 3 Pen for a kick. Every 5 FULL POINTS of BASE (the initially rolled) Stun Damage equals 1 POINT of KILLING Damage (wound damage).
The Stun Damage that the target actually takes is modified by the location struck. The following Stun Multipliers are applied by the location hit. They are:
Head: 2 X Base Stun
Chest: 1 X Base Stun
Abdomen: 1.5 X Base Stun
Extremities: 1/2 X Base Stun

This damage creates the equivalent of "fatigue levels" or "virtual damage" like the Virtual Damage used in TW2K13. A character's Stun Damage Thresholds are determined by adding STR & CON together. A character with a STR 5 and CON 5 would have:
Light Stun Wound: 10
Moderate Stun Wound: 20
Serious Stun Wound: 30
Critical Stun Wound: 40
Deadly Stun Wound: 50

The penalties are identical to real Wound Thresholds but will dissipate with rest. A Deadly Stun Wound renders you unconscious. Lingering Stun damage becomes Fatigue (I use TW2K13 Fatigue rules) until you rest. The actual Wound Damage inflicted must heal just like knife or bullet wounds.

MELEE COMBAT:

Within their range, most melee weapons are EVERY BIT AS DANGEROUS AS FIREARMS. The base game "makes light" of these weapons by giving them a generally lower damage than firearms. I have seen cases of people disemboweled and even dismembered by ordinary kitchen knives and wood cutting axes. They can be EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE when used as weapons. To model this, I change how melee weapon damage is determined in the game. Damage from melee weapons is figured just like HTH Damage with the exception that different melee weapons will use different damage dice. You simply substitute Melee Skill for HTH Skill when consulting the Damage Chart. Different weapons will also have differing Penetrations and Stun Multipliers (for determining how much Stun Damage they inflict).

Typical Damage Dice, Pen, & Stun Multipliers For Melee Weapons:

Any knife Under 4": Dice= #D3 (or 1D4), Pen= 1, Stun= X1/2, Parry= Formidable
Axe Wood/Fireman's: Dice= #D10, Pen=2, Stun X2, Parry= Difficult
Bayonet/Combat Knife: Dice= #D6, Pen= 1, Stun= X1/2, Parry= Difficult
Machette: Dice= #D6 (or 1D8), Pen=2, Stun= X1, Parry= Average
Tomahawk/Hatchet: Dice= #D6 (or 1D8), Pen= 2, Stun= X1, Parry= Difficult
Spear/Bayonet (mounted): Dice= #D6 Pen= 1/2, Stun= X1/2, Parry= Average
Long Sword: Dice= #D10, Pen=2, Stun X1, Parry= Average
Entrenching Tool: Dice= #D6, Pen= 2, Stun= X2, Parry= Average
Baseball Bat: Dice= #D6, Pen= 4, Stun= X3, Parry= Average
Police Baton: Dice= #D3 (or 1D4), Pen= 4, Stun= X3, Parry= Average
Hammer: Dice=#D6, Pen= 3, Stun X4, Parry= Difficult

These are just some examples of melee weapons and I am seriously considering including the other dice (D4, D8, D12) in game in order to give a wider range of damages for all weapons.

Armor absorbs just like ballistic armor, reducing Damage Dice just like it works with firearms.

HTH & MELEE DAMAGE CHART:
STR X Skill/10; ................ Damage Dice:
Less Than 1: ........................ 1 Die
1 to 2: ................................. 2 Dice
2 to 4: ................................. 3 Dice
5 to 7: ................................. 4 Dice
8 to 9: ................................. 5 Dice
10: ...................................... 6 Dice

Last edited by swaghauler; 03-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.