View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Ozark New America, ca.1934

I had another glimmer of an idea here: I remember reading that the Great Depression fueled some non-traditional political groups in the US as well as abroad (see: Nazis, Communists, Fascists). One of the shadowy groups was a right-wing coup that was exposed by Marine General Smedley Butler (Or not-- historians disagree whether this was a real conspiracy or all in his imagination).

Anyway, what if New America had a predecessor, just as racist and authoritarian, with its hooks into state and local politics, just like the one in the Airlords module. On top of that, IIRC, some of the US helium mines are in north Texas, which isn't so far away. "Terror from the sky" is a common theme from suspense/action stories of the time. Why not something like that here? Given that the Federal government doesn't have much in the way of law enforcement at the time (Hoover's FBI was brand new, and stumbled a lot when first chasing gangsters), maybe another branch (Army CIC?) forms a group from Great War veterans to explore what's rumored to be going on in Arkansas....