View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 AM

Default hehe

I think that wouuld be a most interesting cocktail hour ! Even better if I could sign a wiver and get a vest and a carbine and join in after 5 rounds at the ships qualifying course .(Beats afternoon rhumba with Jorge - the gem of the Caribbean).

Now - the pirates - dont you guys see any other solution to the piracy than to kill` em all and let God sort `em out?

Seriously .Somalia .Piss poor and war torn -hundreds of fat prizes labouring away right outside their scorched dry , bombed out depraved coast .from the Cornish and Irish ,the Norwegian and Danes,the sailors of the US and when it was the colonies-not to mention the rest of you brits and francophiles - (I wont even mentionm the Spanish ones as they are described as to evil to talk about without coming agcross as a bigot.A)nd those vaguely related to Francis Drake in here ( ahem!)

hehe.

Piracy has been and is commonplace and will continue to be so until the material /economic situation on the pirate shores improve .Yes -there will be the occasional evil pirate overlord who runs things from a sinister compound where young maidens are traded in white slavery for doublons ahoi! But mainly its just poor people with access to the shipping lanes and and guns.Sure they have GPS trackers and cellphones ( wow! ) .But mainly its the poverty on shore that allows for recruiting young men to this line of work .Feed them on shore and they wont be tempted or se the need for turning to piracy .

On the technical side of things it has always been the tactic of pirate hunters to go after the money - that is target those who profit onshore rather than relying on going after the pirates on the ships alone .If you can limit the ports they can enter and trade in , they would soon be on the run.
Armed guards have often been used -for instance in China in the 1920s ,where Russians were commonly employed due to the surplus of fighting men after the civil war had ended.When it comes to the question of who is better trained for the job and who to use etc - in most cases that is often a question of who charges the most .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral
I agree with Jester. A handful of decently-trained men could make short work of raiders in a speedboat. It's sheer parsimony that cruise liners don't have such people aboard. Yes, the passengers would be unhappy to hear gunfire. Yes, a fire team rushing by and setting up an operating GP MG on the port railings tends to ruin the cocktail hour. But think of the benefits to sales! Cruise line repels pirates with loss of life to pirates! "Cruise with the safest cruise line the world!" reads the ad. The pirates will continue to make their speedboat attacks until they conclude there's nothing to be gained.

Webstral