View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

One thing I always keep in mind when I look at the canon is how much info we have now that the original writers either didn't have or didn't have easy access to. If you want to see how much oil is produced in IL it takes a few minutes now - back in the mid 80's and early 90's when they wrote the modules it meant digging in multiple libraries, writing letters, all kinds of things

so the canon writers very likely didn't know that the IL oil fields alone produce so much oil even with only 1-2 barrels a day - not with 13000 plus producing wells - whereas we can find it with a few clicks of a computer screen

thus could MilGov get fuel for a limited number of planes just from what the iL fields are producing thru the Robinson refinery - the answer is yes - but back then when the game was written good luck finding that kind of data when you were in a time crunch to get out new material

you aren't going to leisurely check out 10 different libraries and universities and send away for info when your editor is saying "where the heck is Howling Wilderness? what do you mean you have to delay three weeks while you research how much oil comes from IL - just get it on my desk by Monday!"