Thread: Upgraded TAM
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
It's still (by modern standards) a light tank. The estimates I've seen are that it's probably about equal to a Marder 1A3 for KE protection, though it'll be better against explosive penetrators, since IMI's Iron Wall emphasizes protection against IEDs and RPGs over KE weapons. There's a thermal sleeve on the 2IP that isn't there on the original TAM, so there may be some changes to the FCS as well.

Note that the TAM 2C and TAM 2IP are not the same upgrade. The 2C added an APU, driver's night vision, an Elbit commanders's sight with thermal imaging and laser rangefinding, gunner's sight with Elbit TIFCS, and a laser warning system. The 2IP is the armor upgrade (though there may be some internal upgrades as well, but I haven't seen mention of them). A tank can supposedly receive either upgrade without receiving the other, so one could have a 2C, a 2IP, or a 2CIP (and I have seen one tank marked as a TAM 2CIP, possibly the demonstrator to prove that the 2C could accept the new upgrade).
I would agree that it is still a light tank. Note that for the most part this is an upgrade of existing tanks (the orignal contract covered a little more than half the existing TAMs); I could see Argentina being willing to part with a battalion's worth of additional upgrades sold to someone else for cash or oil before the Twilight war begins.

The hull is the same; I could see raising the turret armor a little due to better sloping (description says its proof vs 20mm all around, but he original already had that) - unless that's applique bolted on?; the speed as quoted comes out a little lower than the original TAM, but it is notably more efficient on range (fuel consumption); plus improved stabilization, better night sight equipment, better FCS.

Stab: Good (up from Fair)
IR Targ: A/PIR
FCS: 4 (+1 on 3)

Trav Move: 150/105 km in 4 hours
Cbt Move: 50/35 m per round
Fuel Consumption: 110L in 4 hours

Weaponry:
  • L7A1 105mm equivalent; uses NATO 105mm ammo
  • NATO 7.62mm MG Coax in turret
  • NATO 7.62mm MG Coax on open moungt on turret roof

Armor: Suspension = T4
__TF 40 ____HF 35