Thread: Berlin in 1996
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
In short, could the Soviets have trusted anyone enough to launch an assault on West Berlin? Probably not. And more likely, their Motor Rifle Brigade at Karlhorst would have been under siege as some, if not all of these units, turned on them. And where might the Willi Sanger battalion (which I believe was expanding about this time), have come down? All in all, the Allies in West Berlin might have been more than happy to simply seal the borders themselves and hunker down, hoping nobody noticed them.....
That's pretty much it, the Soviets would have to do it themselves and with the way the war is developing can they afford to divert military resources?

Quote:
I spoke to some folks who might have been in a position to know. Those were the answers I got. Frankly, I would think the West Berlin garrison would have run out of people before they ran out of supplies, there wasn't enough of them and they were not, in my opinion, well armed enough to deny the East Germans forever..in a normal scenario. In a T2K scenario? Their best defense is to scream their neutrality to the heavens and hope neither side notices them till the Bundeswehr arrives, or sanity breaks out. Of course, once the wider war starts...that is a whole other kettle of fish, but again, are the Soviets going to spend lives to take West Berlin when they have three US Heavy Corps, along with two British Corps and at least a division's worth of Canadians come crashing over the IGB to deal with?
Once NATO crosses the IGB the game is up for them in Germany.

Quote:
Something tells me that within days of NATO's entry into the war, a decision is made in the Kremlin to write off Germany. It cannot be held with the current correlation of forces. Best to withdraw across the Oder and dig in, hoping that they can reinforce in the spring and counterattack. Of course, NATO gets there first, but in short, by December of 1996, Germany is a lost cause to the Warsaw Pact. Anyone who can read a map can see that. And the Poles and Czechs worried about whether or not the Soviets will defend them? What is the better option in their eyes? Surrender to a resurgent Germany? No, they experienced that already once this century, better the devil they know...
I would agree, but in T2K they continue to fight.

The Soviets and the East German regime have a great deal of resources in East Germany, especially in the eastern districts such as the (now) state of Brandenburg. Underground bunkers all over in places such as Potsdam. The Falkenhagen military bunker complex just west of the Oder was the largest Soviet command and control centre outside of the Soviet Union. Falkenhagen was actually built by the Nazis, and the Soviets just took it over and expanded it. When Berlin is captured the Soviets keep fighting and the war doesn't end when NATO reaches the Oder in the New Year. Advent Crown happened in the spring of 1997 and the Germans and NATO keeps on marching through Poland. Why?