View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Special Techniques and Maneuvers

As I have stated before, I use a Skill System that is a TW2K13/V2.2 hybrid system. I use the TW2K13 QUALIFICATIONS system due to its elegance in expanding the Skill List without creating a huge "Skill Tree." For those who are unfamiliar with Qualifications, they are essentially a "Skill within a Skill." You buy them just like other Skills but they are limited by the "Parent Skill" that they originate from. For example, ALL Surgeons are Doctors BUT NOT ALL Doctors are Surgeons. Some other examples of Qualifications include:

-The Heavy Qualification (over 5-ton) of Wheeled Vehicle Driver.
-The Rebreather Qualification of Scuba.
-The Hacking Qualification of Computer Ops.
-The Remote & Multi-Engine Qualifications of Pilot.
-The EOD & Warhead Qualifications of Demolitions.

I also have Qualifications for Hand-To-Hand Combat. Those Qualifications include Wrestling, Boxing, and Martial Arts. While some of the Qualifications do allow you to do more damage than HTH, I was thinking of adding in some Special Techniques like Blind Fighting, Instant Stand, Powerful Blow, or pain Compliancy Hold. These Special Techniques (of which I have compiled roughly a dozen general Techniques) would add a bit of variety to HTH Combat.

My idea would be to allow a player to select ONE Special Technique for each Level of Skill in a Qualification above 0 (which is essentially "familiarization" of a Skill). That Special Technique would start at a Skill level 0 ("familiarization") and advance in Level as the Qualification advances. Thus a person with a Qualification of 4 in Boxing could have up to 4 Special Techniques with a Skill Level of 0 thru 3, depending on the order they were taken in. The fighter would use the Technique's Skill Level when attempting it and each different Qualification would have 3-5 (1D3+2) Techniques to choose from. This would allow you to emulate the Techniques of various Martial Arts such as Aikido, Boxing, Karate, and Judo.

Has anyone else ever experimented with adding Special Maneuvers or Techniques to Twilight2000?