Thread: OT: About books
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
USED to be legal -- the right of secession was, in fact, written into the US Constitution. A later amendment (after the Civil War) negated that right.

The Civil War is essentially a purely historical issue for me, especially since my BA is in History with a concentration in Military History. I'm a military brat with a Croatian mother and a biological father whose family is from Massachusetts, and a stepmonster from Arkansas. I'm basically a typical mutt American.
quite right... thus we are a republic in name at the moment.

My family has been from NC since the founding. I am a desendent of Richard Dobbs Spaight, Sr. a signer of the constitution for NC and one of the men who pushed so hard for the Bill of Rights. he and his son would serve as both state governor and as a representative in the US Congress. On, and I learned that he had died in a duel... Sometimes i wish we still had legalized deuling. It could make life alot simpiler (and cause people to be alot more polite as well).

I guess you could say I am technically a German-American since the Spaights/Speight/Spake/Spaak/Spakiov family started out in the German state of Pommerania... But as far as I am concered... I am an American pure and simple.