View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
This topic reminds me of that old mercenary flick, the Wild Geese, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Geese in which a group of mercenaries try to rescue an African politician and get betrayed by their corporate sponsors. Air assets factor in three different times, and it works fairly well for an adventure story.
A whole campaign can be written around a Team with a DC-3 or a V-22. As can a campaign if you wanted to make you Team nothing but, F-5 pilots. The PD puts the Team up against encounters they can beat and encounters they should run from. A PD also has plans to separate the Team from their high tech gear too.

Quote:
(1) the tech of the company?
Initially the mercenaries parachute in to conduct their mission. The plane later lands to pick them up, turns around and flies off, leaving the mercenaries stranded. The airplane is a military type cargo plane that can land on a rough airfield, designed for developing countries, and a rear ramp that allows for significant cargo haulage. This strikes me as a practical choice for Morrow. The plane is also a prop aircraft, thus reducing the need for complex jet engine repair, it strikes me as a rough plane capable of simple repairs, dependent on generally available fuel sources. One could arm this aircraft with a mini gun or other weapons, turning into something like an AC-130.
I agree that something that is prop driven and a short take off and landing (STOL) rated would be a logical choice. The Project though has the resources and the time to buy exactly what they need, then to store it away until it is needed. The Project doesn’t have to improvise.

Quote:
(2) Coercive capacity-
The second time is when the mercenaries get napalmed on a bridge, splitting the group up, wiping out a bunch of the small team, and causing lots of problems. The plane a duel use aircraft armed with machine guns and bombing capacity, I recall duel prop and something you'd see on private airfields all over the US. The bomb strikes me as a fairly simple device. Again, this is a good model for the Morrow project and also reflects the damage that can be done to both members and adversaries by fairly non-advanced technologies that "fit" the story. It also reflects an issue of figuring air assets into the balance of the game. Even if Morrow has pretty good aircraft, there needs to be reasonable constraints on the types of planes it uses- duel use makes sense.
Any Close Air Support aircraft is a reconnaissance plane with a recon pod attached, and ELINT or Jammer with the right pod attached. Any hardpoints by default make any aircraft multi mission. The F-5 already has a purpose built RF-5 version.

The project could have a few Skyraiders bought up from foreign powers or like the KFS has their own production facility capable of a low rate (1 per month). The Project could also have as a subsidiary company the manufacturers of the Super Tocano. http://www.embraerdefensesystems.com...ght_attack.asp There is a thousand niches for specialized and general aviation in a reconstruction effort in hostile airspace. The nice part about gunships like a AC-47 or AC-130 is the ability to linger over a target for a long time. The gunship can then remain on station protecting the friendlies on the ground and do a lot of damage to hostile forces. Strike craft and even close air support burn a lot of fuel and can’t stay long. These have the advantage of getting there fast versus a gunship which is comparatively much slower.

Quote:
But it also means that adversary air groups need to utilize a tech that reflects, realistically, their capacity. In a world of ballooners seeking to escape the chaos of ground, the indigenous air assets need to have some kind of organic fuel capacity, and the aircraft have to reflect local level of tech. Even if VTOL planes make sense, the technology might be out of reach for maintenance. But this makes airfields an important element of the story as well.
Well, the KFS is flying P-47Ds. There are other groups that are the same tech level as the Project. That doesn’t include groups that may have anti air assets that haven’t had someone to use them on. Soviets with a ZPU-4 for example.
Quote:
(3) Indigenous capacity and infrastructure-
The third point in the film involves the mercenaries escape- where they find a local priest who is also a bush pilot, knows where there is an old Douglas Dakota cargo plane and offers to spirit them out of the country. The Dakota is an old mid 20th century relic, is in bad shape, and gets shot up and barely makes it out of the country. This too, represents to me a decent example of a reasonable local plane. If we are going to find local air assets that work, it will look something like that Dakota, essentially an airplane running on worn out toothpicks and rubber bands.

If these planes lasted 150s, not only do they have to rely on maintained parts, but also serious training of technical support and personnel to keep the planes airborne. This might mean a small group of dedicated pilots and aircrews who maintain planes either as a collective effort or in isolated groups. Remember, there isn't much population and most people are worried about subsistence- the US has become 1980s Africa in terms of development and infrastructure.
There is more than one group in the Project encounters that could change priorities and muster the right resources to do this. The KFS. The Lonestar. Even the Warriors of Krell. Not to mention Universities, New Presidencies, and an enclave of Soviets in Mexico, Florida, or the Pacific Northwest.
Quote:
Of course, its your game so do what you want. My only advice here is to be careful with the integration of technology. "Cool" tech can cause more problems than it is worth, while desperation (through material and technical scarcity) might be the mother of innovation. As director of your story, you need to maintain the vitality of your story going forward. If your idea is a modern air war between say the Kentucky Free State and Morrow, ok. Then you have to think about the balance or if it becomes a chain of swatting KFS pilots out of the sky, the game will get boring. But if the problem is, say, acquiring a vaccine (hidden in an ancient lab in Canada) to an outbreak of a lethal form of small pox that is breaking out in an Indian community in New Mexico, than figuring out how to use scarce air assets might be fun.
The PD giveth, and the PD taketh away.

*crackle crackle* “ANY STATION This net! Any Station this NET! This is Mike Oscar Zero Two!
ANY STATION This is Mike OSCAR Zero Two! Immediate support! OVER! “ The voice was high pitched, the speech rushed, and the crackle of gunfire could be heard in the background. “Any Station this net! Any Station this net this is Mike Oscar Zero Two! Immediate support, OVER!” The gun fire had increased, and some sounded as though the operator was at full cyclic rate. “My God! Anyone! This is Mike Oscar Zero Two! Immediate *boom* support! OVER! “ A momentary pause as any explosion sounded off near the radio operator.

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, This is Diamond Zero One, I copy yours, Over.” A calm voice came up on TacNet one. “Diamond Zero One, This is Mike Oscar Zero Two, Oh my God! Can you help us? (pause) Over. “ The voice seemed dazed and unbelieving that anyone could pull him out of this situation. “Mike Oscar o Zero Two, This is Diamond Zero One, Authenticate Alpha, Victor, Young man and I’ll see what I have.” The voice was abundant and calm, probably what a radio operator under determined attack needed to hear. “Diamond Zero One, this is Mike Oscar Zero Two, I authenticate Bravo, Over”… The voice was tremulous, unsure, even disbelieving” .
“Mike Oscar Zero Two, This is Diamond One, that’s the magic word. Squawk your Autonav, and give me a sitrep, Over.”
“Diamond Zero One, This is Mike Zero Two, transmitting now. We’re pinned! Can you help?”
“Mike Oscar Zero Two, This is Diamond Zero One, I have your ident and grid. Enroute your position, with an Eeee TEeee AY, of two mikes, Over”.

“Diamond Zero One, This is Mike Zero Two, thank you! Which road you coming on? West is blocked, our hostiles are West of my position, over”.
“Mike Zero Two, this is Diamond Zero One. No roads today, Diamond FLIGHT is inbound on your position. Mark your targets. Bad guys are bananas, say again, bad guys are bananas, over”

Diamond Zero One, This is Mike Zero Two, Targets will be marked, Bananas. Did you just say, flight, Over?”

Mike Zero Two, This is Diamond Zero One. Affirmative, this is Diamond Flight. Enroute to assist, EEE TEE Ayyyy to assist is 60 seconds, over”

“Diamond Two, Diamond One, on me. Diamond Three, Four, High Guard”.
“Two”
“Three”
“Four” more calm voices came over the Morrow Project Tactical Net.
“All Diamonds, Diamond One, Weapons Hot! Targets are bananas, confirm”

“Two, hot.”
“Three, hot.”
“Four, hot.”

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, This is Diamond One, gonna need a target description, over”

“Oh my god! Diamond Zero One, This is Mike Oscar Zero Two! Hostiles are two trucks with heavy machineguns supported by platoon strength dismounts. They have formed a firing line 300 meters west of mine on a ditch embankment. Our V is in the open and I have casualties, Over”.

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, This is Diamond One, beginning my run. Find cover, Over”

“Diamond Three, One. Immediate retrans this sitch for Regional.” “Let’s get some Evac assets on the way, Over”

“Diamond One, Three. Retrans now, Over”.

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, this is Diamond One. I see you. Breaking branches your East. Targets are bananas, confirm, Over”.

“Diamond One, you’re an airplane? We have airplanes? Oh my god! Targets marked Yellow smoke, Over!”

“Confirmed, Diamond One, Engaging, Over”

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, Diamond One, confirm strike, trucks down? Over”

“Diamond One, Mike Oscar Zero Two, Their burning! The trucks are burning! Thank you! Over”

“Diamand Two, start your run, over”

“Two”

“Diamond One, Diamond One! Their running!, the hostiles are running! Over!”

“One, Two, Clear”

“Two, One, Affirm”

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, this is Diamond One. We’ll be making a second run, South to North. Remark targets as necessary.”

“Diamond One, Three”
“Three, One”
“One, Three. Regional says remain on station. Angel Four is inbound for EEEE Vack. Two Zero mikes at best speed, over”
“Three, One, copy, remain on high guard, over”
“Three”

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, this is Diamond One, How are things down there now? Over”

“Diamond One, Mike Oscar Zero Two! Oh god, thanks, thanks! Most of them ran. Still taking some fire from the embankment maybe five to ten, can’t tell. Over”

“Three, One, got that?”
“One, Three, Affirm”
“Diamond One, beginning my run.”
“Diamond One, Mike Oscar Zero Two, I see you! Their running! Running West!”

“Mike Oscar Zero Two, Diamond One. Let’s see if they can run faster than that.”

“Two, One. Abort your run. Target neutralized”

“One, Two, copy, Abort Run, Over”
“Two, One copies”

“Diamond One, This is Mike Oscar Zero Two! You did it! Their gone! You saved us! Over!”
“Mike Oscar Zero Two, This is Diamond One. Glad to help. Your EEE Vack is inbound and Diamond Flight is going to hang around until your wounded are safe and you are moving, Over”

“Diamond One, Mike Oscar Zero Two, Thank you! Oh my god, Thank you! Over.

“Diamond One, Out”

“All Diamonds, Diamond One. Climb to Angels two thousand and standby to assist Eeee Vack as necessary.”
“Two”
“Three”
“Four”