View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Default A few more thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmark6 View Post
Lovely write up again, James, thanks for sharing. I may have missed it when I was reading, but it might be nice to have a rational as to why the Polish were placed into one regiment rather than being absorbed into INTEL and shared out amongst the Recon units in Poland itself.

The SAS unit made up of Poles makes perfect sense, they'll be behind lines and all need to speak the lingo. It might be something like the fact that HM Gov wanted the propaganda coup of having a "Polish" unit fighting for the West (similar to the British SS unit in WW2). Initial theory might have said that the unit would never be deployed on Polish soil for fear of retribution (this would obviously collapse when the fighting got desperate).
Thanks for the comments, always useful to have feedback.

A fair number of British Poles would be in Military Intelligence (there is a note that a number who failed selection for 27 SAS were so used) but I will expand this to make it clearer.

I actually see the unit clamoring to fight in Poland and the Polish Government in exile will be pushing for this.

Bear in mind that few if any will have actually ever been to Poland so the local knowledge and slang, etc will be missing making them harder to fit in as Poles when speaking to locals (although they could probably pass amongst other Pact troops).