View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
Ok, assuming for a moment cars would be exempt from EMP (though personally I just don't see it), where is the fuel coming from? By mid 97, I'm fairly certain the war would really be hurting the civilian populace with fuel imports seriously limited and what is getting in either diverted to the military and essential services or heavily rationed.
You are perfectly right. Again you'll have a huge difference between cities and countryside. In cities you can exepct that fuel availabality would be close to zero.

In the countrysides, things will be different (especially if fuel shortage had existed for some times already). You'll find some gazogene adapted on older car models. Diesel will be run on vegetable oil (50/50)... In many houses, people will burn wood for heating, saving the domestic fuel for their vehicles.
I'm not saying that there will be plenty but that will be developped.

Quote:
Something else to keep in mind is censorship of information, specifically what's happening at the front. This could result in most people not knowing that more than a handful of small tactical nukes had been used (even as late as October 97 this could be still true), or the lack of information might have an opposite effect with rumour running rampant and riots in the streets as panic sets in.
I didn't thought of that and you are perfectly right. However, if it goes to rumors running rampant, then, the differences we pointed out will really exist. I don't expect the countryside people to panic that much and they might organize as independent communties even faster.

Quote:
The cause of this censorship could be as simple as the EMP effects knocking out any method of communication more reliable than carrier pigeons, so it's not unlikely that even government officials and politicians would be in the dark (the military, who are likely to have the only working comms networks, might keep negative information to themselves for a variety of reasons).
With EMP the differences between the countryside and the cities has a very good chance to exist.

Quote:
Of course there's also propaganda to think about. Would a government really sit on their hands as the world slid down the slippery slope of destruction without trying to tell it's people "everything is alright, the situation is under control"? Just look at WWII for some prime examples of positive propaganda, especially the Germans later in the war.
You are right again but, with the population already in the dark for weeks, you can't expect your propaganda to be working at all. Anyway, you'll have no way of using it outside the local scale.