View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
I have a question with seeing several photos of British troops using M-16's from the early 80's like in the Falklands to 2000's like in Afganistan. It seems like there is sometimes a guy here and there armed with a M-16 when everyone else has a L1A1 or L85. Why? What is the purpose? Is it a normal thing? I could maybe understand them using one fitted with a M203 before Britian got there own standard GL, but in some pics it's just a M-16 with no GL on it. What's the deal with that? Not all the pics are SAS guys either, some where Royal Marines and I think regular Army. Just curious to these strange sightings.
I'm not an expert on the ins and outs, but my understanding is that in addition to the SAS, M16s and then the UKSF version of the M4 are fielded to the SBS, Para pathfinder units, and some Royal Marine and Army units functioning in the patrols/recce role (i.e. may be wrong, but my recollection is that the cadre from the Moutain Leader school in the Royal Marines had M16s issued during the Falklands in their battlefield patrolling role).