View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
With all due respect to Mr. Frey and his work, I'm not certain he has any more authority than anyone else does to declare anything "canon." Unless he's speaking as a duly-authorized representative of Far Future Enterprises - of which I have seen no evidence - he has the exact same status as any other former writer who published under contract to a company and has since moved on to other tasks.
Perhaps this needs some clarification. I never suggested that Frank Frey has declared (on this forum or elsewhere) that anything written by anyone that wasn't part of the original V1, V2 or V2.2 published material + Challenge Mag articles was canon. I said he endorsed Raellus' work, basically saying that he felt it was very much in keeping with what he had intended for the final, published version of his never-published Kenyan sourcebook.

Also, the recent strong disagreements around here seem to being mis-characterised as a canon vs non-canon argument. It's not. Even strongly pro-canon advocates on this forum have repeatedly stated that they don't have a problem with anyone running any of their campaigns as they see fit. Canon games, non-canon games, all fine, each to their own. The arguments are about what is and is not canon (which is really only of concern for those who prefer to stick to canon) and having certain opinions rammed down others' throats.

My main gripe concerns the methods of delivery of certain opinions, and the complete lack of respect for the status quo that existed until not so many weeks ago. Old wounds have been opened, sensibilities have been offended, and for what? Seriously, how hard is it to display just a little bit more sensitivity, particularly after gentle warnings were clearly spelled out early in the piece?

Please, someone let me know if what I'm writing here makes no sense and I'll scuttle off to some place where it does.