Thread: Korean Omega
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
This is precisely why I made this point

You know that the Soviet Navy is in poor shape because it tells you that in a GDW module (it might be helpful for those of us who don't have that module if you could post the text you're referring to).

My point is in the T2K world staff officers in the USA and / or Korea / Japan considering a potential evacuation don't have that sort of information. They would have to deal with the intelligence that they had - and it's not as if they're going to be getting anything from satellites or Blackbird flights over Soviet naval bases. The mere rumour that there is a Soviet attack submarine active in the Pacific may be enough to make them reconsider putting 15,000 men aboard ships.

This isn't about the state of the Soviet Navy. It's about what state US planners think the Soviet Navy is in.
wasnt referring to your post FYI - I was referring to dragoon500ly post about how big the Soviet fleet was

The module is called Satellite Down and its about the only canon reference to the Soviet fleet in the Pacific

Details how the USS Virginia and her task force (in a very unrealistic way in my opinion FYI) were engaged by a Soviet destroyer task force in March of 1999 - one that only the Virginia survived and only for long enough to beach herself on an island off the Baja Peninsula

It also is the only canon reference to the Panama Canal both still being operational and in US hands

As for the fight with the Soviet DD - she was brought out of mothballs in the last few months of 1998, described as a battered hulk of a destroyer low on fuel and looking for a quick kill and engaging the beached Virginia and getting taken out by the still active guns and missile systems on board

It also details how the Soviets by early 2001 could only send a sail powered ship to try to retrieve a very important satellite