View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
200 feet deep isn't really that deep, so I would definitely go deeper. I'd say anything less than 1000 feet isn't deep enough.

How much munitions are you needing a three mile tunnel seems to be able to hold a lot more than you need.

I'm wrestling with your housing scheme, but am not sure what would work or would not work. This is one where there are a lot of ways to do this. I think the original idea of the towers had a very positive psychological impact on the residents. I'm pretty sure the easiest way to go would be "trailers in tunnels" but I really think that would be a terrible way to live. I do think the "cooling tower" shape is all wrong, but that the "high rise" idea might not be terrible, depending upon how they are built.
It is my understanding that the depth of a "bomb-proof" depends a great deal upon the density of the rock. I've been going through USGS surveys of the area and based on the research so far, I'd have to say that the upper tunnel would need to be between 400-500 feet below surface. I would even go so far as to state that the tunnels have been built with reinforced-concrete (3-6 feet thickness).

As for Tunnel One and its munitions storage; my thoughts on this are to separate the ammo igloos by about 50 feet (from the main tunnel) and secured behind multiple blast doors. The actual igloo is a reinforced-concrete domed structure about 100 feet in diameter. Each igloo is dedicated to one type of ammo. As an additional precaution against accidental detonation, the igloos would be staggered left and right of the main tunnel. This would be the first 1.5 miles of the tunnel. Blocking this portion of the tunnel would be another set of blast doors.

The second part of Tunnel One is the weapons storage. This would be a series of 100 foot square warehouses for bulk storage of replacement and special weapons.

As far as the personnel quarters go , this is still underdevelopment, but I am leaning more and more towards domed shaped, 1-2 story structures, still researching the strength of the domed structures, especially being that deep!