View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 12:28 AM

Perhaps I should have provided more information but I had wanted to keep it as brief as posible to avoid stirring up any animosity.

The decision to consider the DC Working Group's work as canon was made by Kato to put a lid on bad blood that was developing following a series of disagreements on this forum regarding what is and is not canon. I am not speaking for Kato when I answer the questions below and I welcome Kato clarifying any of this personally.

"Are we forced to consider this information canon?" - Only for the purposes of discussions on this forum. You are free to personally consider as canon whatever you wish.

"Can we discuss a game with our own information and stories?" - Absolutely. From my point of view I love reading that sort of stuff from other posters.

"As long as we are all free to talk about our personal games and opinions I see no problem with there works." - Good. I see no problem either.

"As for Canon? This work is not canon, GDW published materials are by definition the only canon. However I dont disagree that it is excellent work." - No argument from me there. Please understand that Kato made his decision in a last ditch effort to prevent bad blood from further damaging this forum. I completely understand and respect his decision. Anyone who needs further clarification on the decision or wants to discuss it should probably talk to Kato in private messages. He is a very reasonable guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

"Ive always believed that this board as a whole should be devoted to building our own canon one post at a time." - Agreed. I started out thinking that that was what would happen but things turned out to be a bit more complicated than that. This forum represents an invaluable body of work in my opinion and we can all pick and choose from what we would like to include in our own campaigns.

"To persecute anyone here for not accepting the rules as canon is not right. That would be like the previously mentioned 93 games studio turning the DC group down. Why are these four guys opinions of more value to us than the opposing voice? If that is the direction this board hasd taken then it should be put to the polls." - No one's opinions are more valuable than anyone elses. No one has been persecuted for anything. As I said above, Kato made a ruling in an effort to nip some growing problems in the bud. If anything, the way things were heading before, the DC Working Group may have started to feel that they were being persecuted. They became very wary of posting their work here. No one wants that because their work is excellent. I believe it was a very hard decision for Kato to make and he deserves our respect for doing his best to keep problems from potentially becoming the death of this forum.

"This group is too valuable to place anyones opinions above the rest and squander it all for those reasons." - Absolutely. Well put.

Last edited by Targan; 01-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.