View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Sorry to be such a time before posting my second draft; real life getting in the way. As far as I can determine by the mid 1980s the 25pdr was for cermonial use only. With great regret, I've left them out. As always any and all comments and criticisms welcome.

British Army Equipment During the Later Twilight War

The British Army has never been a particularly visible part of British society, outside of garrison towns, except during a major war; so many minor wars and actions have taken place that there is no authoritative list of them. During ‘peacetime’, e.g. when military actions and casualties are not front page news, equipment for the army is not a priority. The British Army has learned therefore to avoid throwing anything away if they can possibly help it. Obsolete or surplus equipment can be found squirreled away in obscure stores and depots which proved a great boon to the British Army during the Twilight War.

Artillery is a huge consumer of ammunition; no commander in modern history has ever had enough smoke for instance. When the 155mm ammunition began to run short old 5.5” guns were taken from storage and the School of Artillery Trials Unit to make use of the large stocks of 5.5” ammunition remaining in storage. The 51mm mortar L10 was designed from the outset to be able to use the extensive stocks of 2 inch mortar ammunition still in store.

Although MBTs became rarer on the battlefield, anti-tank capability was still most important. As the supply of MILAN missiles dwindled the BAT Wombat L6 returned to the fray. Likewise, instead of the LAW 80, the 84mm ‘Carl Gustav’ was brought back into service; to the severe disgruntlement of those tasked with carrying it’s 14.2kg empty weight!

The armoured units would have been in direr straits without the Chieftains of the war reserve; some of them with the Chieftain/Challenger Rearmament programme, some without. As the Integrated Fire Control System of the Chieftains wore out or failed, the old L21A1 Ranging Machine Guns were replaced in turrets originally designed for them, making such tanks great assets. Even the remaining 1950’s vintage Saracen and Saladin armoured cars were used to great effect.

In the field of small arms, the L85 was supplemented by the L1A1 Self Loading Rifle and the L86 by the L4A4 Bren gun to the great joy of many, as the post Gulf War Fault Rectification Program had not nearly been completed by the start of the Twilight War.

Even the webbing equipment of the late war British soldier benefited from the institutional hoarding tendency of the British Army. Modern webbing was almost replaced by ’58, ’44 and even ’37 pattern webbing by war’s end. The previously loathed Boot DMS that let down the British so badly in the Falklands was welcomed as much better than no boot at all, when no more Boots, High Combat were to be had. The steel helmet Mk V had never been completely replaced by the GRP helmet, some Home Service Force personnel were issued with them during the Russo – Chinese phase of the Twilight War. Subsequently the Mk V helmet became a much more common sight. Contrary to popular belief, the WWII style Mk II helmets seen in England were not WWII vintage, but were manufactured in Oxford* from original dies discovered in a Regimental Museum basement!

I’ll be adding soft-skin vehicles next; I’m waiting for a reference book to arrive.

*I’m not following canon for the British Isle, I much prefer Rainbow Six’s take on it. I hope he doesn’t mind.

Ironside

Last edited by Ironside; 11-04-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Forgot about the 25pdrs . . . again :(