View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Interesting topic and It’s a bit of an oddity, the end of the cold war and “Options for change” affects equipment stocks massively. However by mixing and matching we can get a rough estimate for what would remain in 1995 when the Soviets invade China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Even the webbing equipment of the late war British soldier benefited from the institutional hoarding tendency of the British Army. Modern webbing was almost replaced by ’58, ’44 and even ’37 pattern webbing by war’s end. The previously loathed Boot DMS that let down the British so badly in the Falklands was welcomed as much better than no boot at all, when no more Boots, High Combat were to be had. The steel helmet Mk V had never been completely replaced by the GRP helmet, some Home Service Force personnel were issued with them during the Russo – Chinese phase of the Twilight War. Subsequently the Mk V helmet became a much more common sight. Contrary to popular belief, the WWII style Mk II helmets seen in England were not WWII vintage, but were manufactured in Oxford* from original dies discovered in a Regimental Museum basement!
You seem to be under the impression that Britain stops making things from about 1989! Maintaining weapons for the purposes of 'just in case' is a very British army thing to do (The amount of Lee Enfield's the Army was keeping still greased up and ready to go circa 1980 is proof enough). Keeping Personal loading equipment is not.

With regards to helmets one of the more successful procurements was the GRP 'battle bowler' The British army was almost entirely equipped with this by 1990. So by 1995 your looking at decent war stocks that this remains the common sight helmet by UK forces both at home and abroad.

Also by 1989 point the army was having its replacement webbing PLCE rolled out by this point. Due to a manufacturing or design error the anti infer-red coating was not included in the manufacturing. It started out in Olive green and then the second correct run was made in DPM. The olive green version would probably have been passed on to TA. Its possible that Pattern '58 would still be seen. But patterns 38-44? not really.The numbers still in working condition and in large quantities would not be there for starters.

Combat boot high was not a great success, but definitely improved upon its predecessor. It was replaced by the 'Assault Boot' around 1991. So if anything combat boot high would have been in reserve not DMS boot (Which where probably all skipped).

By 1995 your looking at the entire British army (153,000 regulars 80,000 TA 10,000 HSF plus war stocks) being equipped with PLCE, GRP helmet and the assault boot.

The fact of the matter is that there are two points when Britain can begin re-manufacturing its equipment.

1) When the soviets cross the border with china, Britain along with the U.S and West Germany places its forces on alert. Possibly the British army of the Rhine is put on a war fitting and the stocks and equipment levels are probably checked on a dramatic scale. This gives the UK one year to find out all its equipment worries drama's and begin to purchase or replace new stocks.

2)There is also one year of complete war fighting before the 'Thanksgiving day massacre'. Its highly unlikely that British industry would not have been put on a war footing in that time and the replacements for weapons and equipment begin being made.

Plus the need to beginning training a slightly enlarged army would require more stocks. I'm doubting (But open to the idea) that conscription is introduced, but I believe that recruitment would be more 'aggressive' than normal coupled with perhaps more bored youths being enticed.

Your pretty much spot on weapons front though, whilst the UK forces in Eastern Europe and further abroad would have remained with the L85/L86 (If they worked!), The need to arm the police (Plus the odd traffic warden!) would have require them to be dusted off along with the sterling SMG. I've equipped a lot of post TDM Battalions with the SLR.

I'll include my thoughts on vehicles front later but its very interesting topic and I also highly recommend Rainbow six's thoughts on Britain. His thoughts on Scotland and the south-west are excellent

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.