View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Likewise I never used the A2 variant of either the L98 or the L85, merely the old bolt action A1. I can remember the first time I came across them, at Ballykinler when we were down for a practice session prior to the NISAM. My initial impression was 'Wow!', primarily becasue they looked so much nicer and shinier than the old .303's I was sued to using. Sadly that soon went to the board. I lifted the L98, pulled back the cocking handle to carry out my NSP's and immediately encountered a problem - the cocking handle came off in my hand....

Although I was only a cadet, and later instructor (asthma kept me out of the regs), we did touch lucky a few times and get to play with some toys we really shouldn't have - SLR's, Mini-14s and Sterlings (then RUC issue), MP-5s, an M16A1 on one occasion, GPMG's, Brens etc, and with pretty much everything I ever shot I did better than the L98 Even handguns! I have however heard good things about the A2. On the flip side of that I have to say I never found much of a difference in the quality of my shooting with the L85A1 in comparison to the L98A1, just didn't like it at all, and found it very butt heavy and unbalanced, but as I say I never used it that much. Perardura, you're right the L98A1 was satans spawn - given a choice between it and a .303 I know which I'd rather have.

And gents, I'm only slagging about the crabs - its good to see more brits on here, and I recognise and appreciate your service.