View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer View Post
The project does not need anything for air superiority, the Morrow group is about reconstruction not making warlords.
They don't have a need for F-5s nor the ability to maintain F-5s, they like every other jet aircraft are maintenance pigs, not to mention parts and fuel are coming from where? they would become hanger queens within a month at most IF they even had fuel to begin with.

Light coin aircraft are what the Morrow group would have at most, I'm going with either Airtractors AT-802U http://www.802u.com/
or Iomax's Archangel https://www.iomax.net/archangel/
both raise absolutely no suspicion as they are made from agriculture aircraft, have very low maintenance requirements and flight endurance way beyond any helicopter or jet.
I disagree.

I am sure that the Project would purchase and use light COIN aircraft.

COIN aircraft do not operate unless your side owns air superiority. Look at A-1 Skyraiders
operating in the COIN and air support mission in Viet Nam. These were regularly in danger from Mig -17s and Mig-19s operated by the North.

The Project doesn't need a large fleet. Flights of four (2x2) operating from Prime and the largest regional bases is enough. These to cover the air over those large important assets and protect them from Soviet bombers, rogue military forces, and act in the air to ground mission on extreme cases.

Air Superiority is the key to freedom of movement on the ground.

As for fuel......... Turbines eat anything that can be sprayed as a mist ahead of the compressor. AvGas is just kerosene. Kerosene is 1880s technology and not something that is difficult to refine.

This assumes that Project F-5s need fuel....... An electric motor that turns a turbine could conceivably draw in and compress air until the air itself ignited and made thrust.